admissions /


When To Apply

We strongly encourage prospective students to apply and send the needed documents as EARLY as possible to the Admissions Office. If you are applying for the fall or spring semesters, it is recommended you apply no later than one month before the first day of fall or spring classes and two weeks prior for summer terms. (See the academic calendar for specific dates).

Secondary School Preparation

Most students accepted for admission to WNMU have graduated from high school and have taken a college preparatory curriculum. It is recommended that high school students complete at least four units of English, three units of social studies (including U.S. History), two units of science, and three units of mathematics. Those who plan to enter the fields of pre-engineering, pre-pharmacy, pre-dentistry, the sciences, or business administration are advised to include in their preparation at least intermediate algebra and plane geometry.

Experience has shown that students who have below a C average in high school are likely to experience difficulty with university-level work. Students who have not completed all the admissions requirements are admitted conditionally. Students who have not completed admission files during their first term of enrollment will not be allowed to register for any subsequent semester. WNMU reserves the right to refuse admission to any applicant for scholastic or other reasons which have been deemed by WNMU authorities as sufficient and proper.

Advanced Standing

WNMU grants admission with advanced standing to exceptionally able students who have participated in the Advanced Placement Program in high school. Students entering WNMU may receive advanced standing and college credits when they are certified by the College Entrance Examination Board as having satisfactorily completed appropriate examinations administered by the Educational Testing Service. In addition, examination scores must be reviewed and approved by the WNMU faculty. Students who are interested in the program should write to the College Entrance Examination Board, Box 592, Princeton, NJ 08540, while they are in high school.

APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION Regular Admission - First Time Any College

High school graduates or GED holders may be granted regular admission by completing the WNMU application and providing appropriate documentation of one of the following:

  1. COMPASS Placement Exam; or
  2. Achievement of an ACT sub-score of 21 or better (or SAT equivalent of 500) in math, English and social science. The ACT/SAT must have been taken in the past five years; or
  3. Completion of the COMPASS placement exam in corresponding areas where the ACT/SAT sub-score was less than 21/500.

Applicants must submit an official high school transcript showing graduation completion or an official GED certificate to the WNMU Admissions Office and complete admissions/placement requirements listed above to earn final admission.

Students who have not completed admissions requirements may be admitted conditionally for one semester only. Students on conditional admission are ineligible for financial aid and participation in intercollegiate athletics.

Regular Admissions - Transfer Students

Students who present transcripts from accredited colleges and universities may be given credit for such work. Students are expected to meet all degree requirements set forth by WNMU until official transcripts have been received directly from the records office of each institution previously attended.

Regular admission for transfer students requires the student to be in good standing at the institution from which s/he is transferring. Transfer students may be granted regular admission by completing the WNMU application form and providing appropriate documentation of one of the following:

  1. COMPASS Placement exam; or
  2. Submission of a transcript showing completion of a college level writing course with a grade of C or better and mathematics course with a grade of D or better; or
  3. Achievement of an ACT sub-score of 21 or better (or SAT equivalent of 500) in math, English and social science. The ACT/SAT must have been taken in the past five years; or
  4. Submission of a transcript showing completion of an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution recognized by CHEA (Council of Higher Education Accreditation).

All transfer applicants who have completed less than 24 hours must submit an official high school transcript or an official GED certificate.

admissions /

Students who have not completed admissions requirements may be admitted conditionally for one semester only. Students on conditional admission are ineligible for financial aid and participation in intercollegiate athletics. All transfer applicants must submit official transcripts to the Admissions Office from all institutions previously attended to earn final admission.

A transfer student will enter WNMU on the same status as the last institution attended

i.e. if a student is in good standing or on probation from the last institution attended, they will enter WNMU in good standing or probationary status, respectively.

Evaluation of transferable courses will not be completed until the student has supplied the Admissions Office with all documents necessary to complete admission requirements.

Transfer students whose combined GPA from all transfer institutions falls below WNMU’s acceptable standards (see sliding scale listed under “Probation and Suspension” in the Academic Regulations section of this catalog) will enter on probationary status.

A transfer student who has been suspended from another institution is not eligible for admission until s/he has served the required suspension period of that institution.

Probationary Admission

A transfer student who is on academic probation from the last institution attended will enter WNMU on academic probation.

Transfer Credit from other Institutions ( Undergraduate Students)

It is the policy of Western New Mexico University to accept transfer credit from other New Mexico accredited or regionally accredited colleges and universities.

Transfer credit may be awarded when the following conditions are met:

  1. The student must be awarded “final’’ admissions status;
  2. The course carries degree credit at the transferring institution;
  3. The student was not suspended from a college or university at the time the course was taken.

Transfer transcripts become the property of WNMU and will not be returned to the student either as originals or as copies.Transfer credit will become part of the student’s record after the student has established a course of record.

All courses with letter grades of A, B, C, D, CR, S, or P (except ENGL 101 or 102, and Developmental or Remedial courses) will be posted on the WNMU transcript provided they conform to the above noted restrictions. Courses transferred with a D cannot count toward a student’s major. If duplicate courses are taken at other institutions, only the course with the highest grade will transfer.

Courses transfer from other institutions at the level offered at those institutions. Hours transferred from two-year institutions cannot be used for upper division (300400) hours.

After enrollment at WNMU, course work taken at another institution may replace the grade for a course taken at WNMU, provided the student receives prior approval from the student's advisor at WNMU to take the course.

A transfer student must complete a minimum of six credit hours in the elected major and a minimum of three credit hours in the elected minor in residence at WNMU.

See “ Undergraduate Degree Requirements” for specific degree information for transfer students.

International students wishing to receive credit for courses taken at accredited institutions of post-secondary education outside the U.S. must provide WNMU with original transcripts translated into English and evaluated by an independent credentials evaluator. A list of evaluators is available at the Admissions Office.

Western New Mexico University treats transfer students the same as students who started at WNMU in awarding credit towards fulfilling degree requirements. The University supports articulation among all public post-secondary institutions in New Mexico.

PLEASE NOTE:Transfer students should consult the transcript evaluator concerning the state wide Articulation of Lower Division Common Core (general education) requirements. Graduate students should refer to Transfer Credit listed under Graduate Policies in the Graduate Studies Section.

Transcript Evaluation

Transcripts are evaluated for placement purposes and acceptance of transfer course credits for incoming freshmen, transfer students and international students. All transcripts are evaluated to determine the class standing of a student (ie, freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior). The Transcript Evaluator can assist in constructing a matrix to aid students in completing their general education requirements on a timely basis. After all transcripts are evaluated, students are provided with a form indicating the courses accepted at Western New Mexico University.

COMPASS Placement Testing

All undergraduate students new to WNMU must participate in WNMU’s placement testing program. WNMU uses the COMPASS (Computer-Adaptive Placement Assessment and Support System) test for this purpose. The COMPASS test is used to assist advisors with placement of students in appropriate English, math, and other courses. COMPASS has three parts: math, reading and writing. COMPASS test scores determine placement in developmental studies or college level courses in Math, English, reading, and writing. Students who have already completed appropriate coursework at another institution may be exempt. Such students should consult an Admissions Officer at the Admissions Office.

The COMPASS test may be taken at New Student Orientation, or at other scheduled COMPASS test sessions. It is each student’s responsibility to schedule in advance a test session to complete the COMPASS. All students identified above must complete the test prior to registration for classes. More information concerning COMPASS testing is available at the Academic Support Center (ASC).

admissions /

Special students and senior citizens may register for certain courses without taking the COMPASS test. Students who have already completed appropriate coursework at other accredited institutions may apply to the ASC for waiver of test requirements.

Placement methods include the use of one of the following:

(1) a comprehensive review of the student’s past records including ACT test scores, appropriate CLEP scores or Advance Placement Scores, and college transcripts;


(2) completion of all or part of the COMPASS test.

Completion of the COMPASS placement exam is required in corresponding areas where the sub-score was less than the ACT sub-score of 21 or SAT 500. The ACT/ SAT must have been taken in the past five years.

Students who have a 31 ACT sub-score; appropriate CLEP or Advance Placement Scores can receive credit for an equivalent college level course.

Transfer students who have not completed a college level writing course with a C or better, a mathematics course with a grade of D or better or who have not achieved an ACT subscore of at least 21 in a relevant area are also required to take the COMPASS examination for placement into the appropriate course or courses. Placement exam scores are used in initial advising and registration.

Students who score below college proficiency levels on the COMPASS in writing, reading, and/or mathematics must take the appropriate development (review) courses beginning their first semester and each semester thereafter until they reach college level competency. Students may enroll in classes meeting certificate and degree requirements at the same time that they are completing their developmental courses. If the developmental course is a prerequisite, it must be completed before enrolling in a higher level course.

COMPASS Placement Testing Waivers

Each student enrolling at WNMU must be assessed in basic skills in English, mathematics, and reading unless s/he meets one of the following criteria for a waiver:

  1. Submission of transcript showing completion of an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution recognized by CHEA (Council of Higher Education Accreditation).
  2. Achievement of an ACT sub-score or 21 or better (or SAT equivalent of 500) in math, English and social science. The ACT/SAT must have been taken in the past five years.
  3. Submission of a transcript showing completion of college level writing course with a grade of C or better or a mathematics course with a grade of D or better.
  4. Enrollment in nine or fewer hours for personal enrichment as a non-degree bound Special Student.
  5. Permission of the department chair to enroll as a concurrent student in a course offered by that department. Students enrolling in English or Math courses must take the COMPASS test for placement purposes.

Students who initially enroll in courses for personal enrichment or job upgrading and who have not participated in a placement program must do so before enrolling in a certificate or degree program unless they meet a second criterion above.

International Students

The general policies of the University as outlined in this bulletin apply to international as well as U.S. students. However, some special policies are necessitated by federal laws which are applicable only to international students.

An international student is any individual attending WNMU who holds an F-1 or M-l non-immigrant visa. Legally admitted immigrants and refugees are not considered international students.

Information and application materials for admission to WNMU as an international student are available from the Admissions Office.

English Proficiency: WNMU requires that international undergraduate students establish English proficiency by one of three means:

  1. A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 550 or higher on the written version of the test or 213 or higher on the computer version of the test, or
  2. An ACT English subscore of 21 or higher or an SAT Verbal score of 500 or higher AND demonstration of adequate speaking skills as assessed by an inter view conducted by a designee of the Vice President for Academic Affairs, or
  3. An ACT English subscore of 17-20 or an SAT Verbal score of 430-490 AND three years of high school English with a 2.5 GPA and demonstration of adequate speaking skills as assessed by an interview conducted by a designee of the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

International graduate students are required to have a TOEFL score of 550 or higher on the written version of the test or 213 or higher on the computer version of the test.

Admissions: Applications for admission for Fall semester must be in by June 1st with applications for Spring semester in by August 1st. All supporting materials, including transcripts or national examination scores and/or transcripts from colleges or universities (with an English translation); all test scores, including the TOEFL; proof of adequate financial support; and health examination form must be on file in the Admissions Office by:

July 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Fall semester September 1. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Spring semester

Applications not processed by the deadlines noted above cannot be guaranteed timely processing for issuance of I-20’s. If time does not permit processing for a requested semester, admission and the I-20 will be processed for the subsequent semester.

admissions /

International students are required to show proof of adequate health insurance or arrange to purchase such insurance. The policy must include emergency evacuation or repatriation to their home country. If such proof is not provided, a health insurance policy will be provided by the university with cost of said policy being the responsibility of the student.

International students wishing to receive credit for courses taken at accredited institutions of post-secondary education outside the U.S. must provide WNMU with original transcripts translated into English and evaluated by an independent credentials evaluator.

Late Application for Admission

WNMU reserves the right to deny registration to any student who is late in applying for admission. A student who is permitted to register without having completed all of the steps for admission does so at his/her own risk, and may be required to withdraw and be subject to the standard refund policies of WNMU.


A student wishing to be readmitted to WNMU must complete the Application for Readmission form available at the Admission Office and any other necessary requirements as directed by that office.

Any student who has attended other colleges or universities prior to application for readmission to WNMU must have official academic transcripts sent from those institutions to the Admissions Office as part of the application procedure. Students should be prepared to provide the Admissions Office with a copy of each institution’s catalog to match the transcripts.

Residency New Mexico Residency for Tuition Purposes

A student is classified as a resident or non-resident for tuition purposes based on information supplied on the application at the time of admission. The residence classification is only changed upon re-application for admission or submission of a petition for New Mexico residency. Non-resident students who believe they have satisfied requirements for establishing New Mexico residency may file a petition in the Admissions Office. No petitions will be accepted after the first day of classes. No petitions will be approved unless all requirements for residency are met before census date.

Each person must meet the requirements individually. To become a legal resident of New Mexico, four basic requirements must be satisfied.

1. The Twelve Month Consecutive Residence Requirement: A student must physically reside in New Mexico for the twelve consecutive months immediately preceding the semester for which the petition is submitted.

NOTE: A student whose parents or guardians reside out-of-state cannot begin to complete the twelve-month requirement until after their 18th birthday.

  1. The Financial Independence Requirement: A student cannot be approved for residency if he/she is financially dependent upon parents or legal guardian who are not residents of New Mexico. At the time the student applies for residency (if under 23 years of age), a copy of his/her parents’ or guardian’s 1040 or 1040A U.S. income tax for the previous year must be submitted with the application. If the student is shown to be a dependent on this tax form, he/she will not be eligible for residency.
  2. The Written Declaration of Intent Requirement: The student must sign a written declaration of intent to relinquish residency in another state and to establish it in New Mexico.
  3. The Overt Act Requirement: Residency regulations require the completion of several overt acts which support the student’s declaration of intent to become a permanent resident. Examples of such acts are securing a New Mexico driver’s license or automobile registration, registering to vote in New Mexico, filing a New Mexico state tax return for the previous year, securing full-time employment, purchasing residential or business property, or having a long-established bank account in New Mexico. Other relevant factors may be considered along with those listed above.

Other Residency Regulations

The following are general policy statements under the regulations for New Mexico residence.

All students are charged resident tuition rates during summer sessions.
All students enrolled for 6 credit hours or fewer (part-time students) during fall and spring semesters are charged resident tuition rates.
Active-duty members of the armed forces stationed in New Mexico and their dependents are eligible to enroll at WNMU and pay tuition at the resident rate. Re-certification must be made each semester the student is enrolled.
Non-residents are eligible to apply for residency status after living in New Mexico for 12 consecutive months and satisfying other requirements for establishing residency.
Students under 18 years of age and students financially dependent upon parents or guardian will be considered to have the same residency as the parents or guardian.
Spouses and their dependents who move to New Mexico to work full-time, practice a profession, or conduct a business full-time (and who can provide appropriate evidence), or marry a New Mexico resident, are not required to complete the Twelve Month Residence requirement before applying for resident status.
Students between the ages of 19 and 23 must submit a copy of their parents’ or guardian’s 1040 or 1040A U.S. income tax form for the previous year with their application for residency.

Residence requirements are mandated by the Higher Education Department and are subject to change.

admissions /

Procedures and a brochure explaining all requirements for establishing New Mexico residency for tuition purposes are available at the Admissions Office.

For more information about Residency contact the Director of Admissions.

Special Admission

Students desiring to be admitted to WNMU who cannot fulfill the usual requirements will be considered for admission based on the following conditions:

  1. Admission by Examination ( GED): WNMU follows the guidelines established by the New Mexico State Department of Education concerning the Tests of General Education Development (GED). Students who have not graduated from high school may be admitted on the basis of satisfactory scores on the GED, administered by the State Department of Education. Information on the test may be obtained from the Department or from a local high school. The GED is also administered on the WNMU campus. Arrangements to take the test on campus may be made through the Student Development Center. Classes in GED preparation are offered through Adult Educational Services. It is WNMU policy that a student must be at least 17 years of age or his/her class must have graduated from high school before the student may be granted admission on the basis of the GED.
  2. Special Student: A student may be admitted to WNMU to take those courses which are of interest to him/her without meeting the high school graduation requirements. A student with this classification enters with the understanding that courses pursued will not count toward a degree until the entrance requirements for the degree-bound student have been completed. The student must contact the Admissions Office concerning these requirements and procedures for a change of status from special student to degree-bound student. Degree-bound students are subject to course prerequisites. Special Students may register for up to eleven credit hours during a semester. Special Students are not eligible for financial aid. Students enrolling in English or Math courses must take the COMPASS test for placement purposes. Special, Non-Degree Bound students are allowed to take, at their own risk, any undergraduate course offered at WNMU without fulfilling the prerequisite requirement(s) for the course.
  3. Concurrent Enrollment: High school juniors and seniors may enroll part-time (11 hours or less) at WNMU while they are completing secondary school. Students, under 17, must have permission from their school system even if they are not attending high school. A student must be recommended by his or her counselor and principal for the program. Approval of concurrent enrollment by the Admissions Office is required for final admission. A placement waiver may be granted if the student has permission from the department chair to enroll as a concurrent student in a course offered by that department.

Academic Regulations

This section of the Catalog is a guide to the academic regulations and curricula of WNMU. Each student is responsible for complying with the regulations of WNMU and of the curricular program he or she selects.

Academic Achievement Recognition

Baccalaureate and associate degree students must complete a minimum of 12 credit hours for the current semester and have earned a GPA in the top 15 percent of undergraduate GPAs to be eligible for honors. The top five percent of the honors students will be awarded high honors. The remaining ten percent will be awarded honors. Honors or high honors will be noted on the student transcript for each semester in which the recognition is awarded.

Academic Amnesty Policy

A student enrolling at WNMU after at least a five calendar year period of separation from any accredited institution of higher learning may wish to be considered for academic amnesty. Application for this consideration will be made by the student to the Registrar in the Fall or Spring semester immediately following the semester in which the student completes 24 or more credit hours at WNMU with a GPA of at least 2.50 for these hours. Developmental Studies courses and non-academic vocational courses will not count toward the five year separation requirement or the GPA requirement. Upon granting of the application, all courses prior to the five year separation will be removed from consideration for a degree and will not count toward the GPA but will remain on the student’s transcript. The student’s transcript will be marked “Academic Amnesty Granted.’’ Appropriate courses will be flagged, whether earned at WNMU or elsewhere. The student may not pick and choose which course to remove from consideration. Academic Amnesty may be granted only once and is not reversible.

Academic Credits

An academic credit hour is the equivalent, of one 50-minute standard class lecture per week for a minimum of 15 weeks. Laboratories, movement sciences activity classes, music lesson ensembles, and workshops may generate credit hours at a lower rate.

Students enrolling in an improper course level will be reassigned to a more appropriate class.

academic regulations /

Academic Credit Alternatives

Adult Learning and Education Experiences

Western New Mexico University will grant credit of up to 44 hours from a variety of off-campus sources as approved by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, the Council on Postsecondary Education, or the American Council on Education. It is recognized that certain curricula are affected by outside licensing and/or accrediting agencies that prohibit such substitutions or waivers. In such cases, the recommended credit may not be applied towards the degree in that discipline.

Correspondence Credit (Undergraduate)

A maximum of nine credit hours of correspondence credit is accepted toward a baccalaureate degree, and no more than six are accepted towards an associate degree. In accepting off-campus credit, WNMU will be guided by the interpretation of the college from which the credit is transferred. (Graduate students refer to Graduate Policies in the Graduate Studies Section.)

Credit by Challenge Examination

The program of credit by examination is available to students who, for reasons of scholarship or past academic experience, possess information and expertise at the same level as students who have completed a comparable course.

Eligibility for credit by examination is limited to students who have established a record of superior performance within a specific discipline or in their studies in general.

The usual set of conditions which justifies a request for establishing course credit by successful examination includes the following:

  1. The student has demonstrated evidence of scholarship in the field in which the examination is desired.
  2. The student has taken a course involving similar content but has not established credit for the course at WNMU.
  3. The student has had extensive experience of a theoretical and practical nature in a field which relates to the course in which the examination is requested.
  4. The student has had private tutoring in the field, such as in music or art. The following guidelines govern the examination procedures:
  1. The examination will be searching in nature (comprehensive), strictly graded, and at least four hours in length.
  2. The minimum passing grade shall be C.
  3. The courses a student may challenge are determined by academic departments at WNMU. Movement Science activities classes are not open to challenge.

Any currently enrolled student with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher may challenge certain undergraduate courses by examination. The procedure is as follows:

  1. Obtain a petition with a “statement of purpose” from the Registrar’s Office;
  2. Obtain the signature of the instructor;
  3. Obtain the signature of the appropriate Department Chair;
  4. Obtain the final approval of the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs;
  5. Pay the fee of $15 per credit hour in the Business Office;
  6. Make arrangements with the appropriate department chair to take the examination;
  7. Complete the petition by mid semester;
  8. Pay the normal cost of the course in the Business Office.

Challenge exams are only available for those courses not already recorded on an official university or college transcript.

No more than 15 credit hours by challenge examination may be recorded on the transcript for a baccalaureate degree. No more than six credit hours may be challenged for an associate’s degree. Credit earned by challenge examination may not satisfy any part of the last 15 credit hours required for graduation.

Tests Available through the Academic Support Center

Refer to the Academic Support Center chapter within the Undergraduate Studies section of this catalog for more information on:

Credit through ACT examination

Credit by College-Level Examination (CLEP)

Academic Honesty

Each student is expected to observe standards of honesty and integrity in all academic work completed at WNMU. Students will be penalized for infractions that include, but are not limited to, the following: representation of the work of others as one’s own, failure to cite sources, unauthorized assistance in any academic work, obtaining and/or using tests unless distributed by the instructor, or copying the work of another.

Any infraction of academic honesty and integrity shall result in an automatic failure of the course. A student may appeal this action pursuant to the appeals procedure set forth in the Student Handbook. For additional information, refer to the Student Handbook.

Academic Standing

Good Academic Standing

Students who maintain the minimum academic standards stated in the scale listed under Probation and Suspension will be considered in good standing.

academic regulations /

Probation and Suspension

Academic Probation: Academic standing is based upon the overall GPA and is reviewed at the end of each semester; students who have not made satisfactory progress will be placed on academic probation for the next semester. Satisfactory progress is based on the number of overall GPA hours and overall GPA according

to the following scale.
Overall GPA Hours Overall GPA
0-32 1.65
33-48 1.75
49-63 1.90
64 + Hours 2.00

A student on academic probation at another university may be admitted to WNMU but will retain probationary status. Students on academic probation may not participate in WNMU sponsored activities. Students placed on probation will receive a letter from the Registrar’s Office.

The student remains on academic probation until his/her overall GPA hours and overall GPA meet or exceed acceptable standards (see scale above) or

Academic Suspension: A student on academic probation will be suspended at the end of the semester in which the overall GPA remains below acceptable standards and the semester GPA falls below 2.25. Students placed on academic suspension are sent a certified letter by the Registrar.

The first suspension from WNMU is for one full calendar year from the date of suspension. A student may appeal their first suspension to the Admissions and Academic Standing Committee. A second suspension may not be appealed. The student must serve a suspension of one full calendar year. With any subsequent suspension, the student must serve a full two calendar year suspension without any right to appeal. Students serving their suspension must contact the Registrar’s Office for re-admission following the suspension period.

Reinstated from Suspension: Suspended students who are reinstated re-enter WNMU on academic probation.

During the period of suspension, a student may not register for classes, live in student housing, or participate in student activities at WNMU.

NOTE: Students suspended from another institution are not eligible to enroll at WNMU until they have served the suspension period of that institution.

Assessment Program

At Western New Mexico University students, faculty, and staff participate in assessment activities that help us to identify what works so we can continually improve the institution and ensure that teaching and learning are actually taking place. From the time you begin until graduation, you will be asked to participate in a variety of assessment activities. We realize that your time is precious, but we believe the feedback benefit - to the institution and to you - is worth the investment of your time.

Assessment at WNMU is not an end in itself; it is a vehicle for educational improvement. At the instutional level, the assessment program helps determine where and how our general education program is succeeding in achieving institutional goals and where changes need to be made to ensure continuous improvement. At the departmental level, the assessment program documents aspects of student learning within specific majors and to make changes as necessary to ensure continuous improvement.

For the individual student, assessment provides feedback on personal growth. The various assessment activities all help you measure not only what you know, but what you can do with what you know. As an active learner, you now share the responsibility for your learning; assessment gives you the constant feedback you need to monitor your own progress toward your goals.

Participation in all assessment activities is required of each WNMU student.

Students will be given adequate notice of institutional assessment activities that are conducted throughout the year. Failure to participate in these assessment activities can result in administrative action. The consequences can include, but are not limited to, restricting the student’s enrollment in certain courses, disenrollment from all courses for the semester, or reduction in a course grade if related to course activities.


Attendance is expected at all sessions of each course for which the student is enrolled; the responsibility for attendance is placed upon the student. The student is responsible for making up missed assignments and making appropriate arrangements with the instructor. Failure to attend class does not imply withdrawal. Instructors MAY drop/withdraw a student from the class rolls when the student accumulates unexcused absences in excess of the number of credit hours offered for the course. Students who are auditing a course will be expected to attend class regularly. The instructor has the option of withdrawing a student for not attending class. Non-attendance of classes due to late registration is considered the same as absences after registration.

An instructor may also drop/withdraw a student who does not meet the prerequisites of a course. Only students enrolled for credit or audit are permitted to attend classes. Students not enrolled may visit classes with the permission of the instructor.

Choice of Catalog

Students pursuing an undergraduate/graduate degree may choose to graduate under the catalog which was in effect when they entered WNMU, or any subsequent catalog, provided the catalog is not more than five years old when the degree requirements are completed. Students may not use more than one catalog to complete degree requirements.

Curricular requirements are established by WNMU and include both general education courses and specific discipline requirements. Each undergraduate/graduate student’s degree plan is individually determined following catalog guidelines and advisor recommendations. Students may request through their advisors an exception or substitution to the curricular requirements of their degree programs and to the

academic regulations /

academic regulations established in this catalog. Exceptions and substitutions must be approved by the department chair in the student’s major and (if appropriate) the Dean of the School of Education and Vice President for Academic Affairs.

WNMU may make changes and exceptions to curricular and academic policies, provided that administrative and governance procedures are followed and that reasonable consideration is given to individual petitions for exceptions.

Classification of Students

A student’s undergraduate classification depends upon the number of credit hours

Freshman 0 - 31 credit hours earned
Sophomore 32 - 63 credit hours earned
Junior 64 - 95 credit hours earned
Senior 96 -and up
Course Load

The normal course load for students enrolled in the Fall or Spring semester is between 15-18 credit hours. A student carrying a load of 16 credit hours for each of eight semesters will have completed the necessary credit hours for graduation provided the student followed a specific degree plan without modification. Students who carry less than 16 credit hours for eight semesters may be ineligible for financial aid after the eighth semester of enrollment. Twelve credit hours is the normal load for students registering for summer school.

The responsibility for formulating and enforcing policies governing the student course load belongs to the student’s advisor, Department Chair/Director/Dean and the Vice President for Academic Affairs or designee. The student’s previous academic record will be taken into account when determining the course load. The advisor also determines, along with the student, the appropriate course load to carry during a given semester and indicates the total number of credit hours on the student’s registration form.

A student desiring to carry a course load greater than 18 credit hours may register for additional credit hours if the previous semester’s grade-point average was 3.0

(B) or above and no grades of “I” are outstanding. To carry a course load beyond the 18 credit hour course load, the student must petition for permission by completing the Petition for Overload form. The maximum course load in the summer session including interim or mini-sessions is twelve credit hours.

Registration in a one hour Movement Science course, registration in band, orchestra, chorus, or a Natural Sciences laboratory may be carried as additional hours beyond the normal 18 credit hours in the semester or six in a summer term without petitioning for excess hours.

Students who have a grade of incomplete from a prior semester may be restricted to carrying a normal load less the number of incomplete credits.

Non-credit or audit courses are counted as a part of the student’s load when determining tuition and requirements for overloads. Interim courses also count as part of the 18 hour course load (or twelve hours in the summer) for the semester in which they are placed.

WNMU is frequently requested to certify a student’s enrollment status as to full-time or part-time. The following guidelines are used primarily to verify enrollment for the purpose of financial aid eligibility and loan deferments.

Course-load guidelines:

I. Academic Year


Full-time: 12 or more credit hours per semester
Half-time: 6-11 credit hours per semester
Less than Half-time: 1-5 credit hours per semester

II. Summer Session


Full-time: 9 or more credit hours per semester
Half-time: 5-8 credit hours per semester
Less than Half-time: 1-4 credit hours per semester

Course Numbering

Courses numbered from 100 to 199 are intended for freshmen, from 200 to 299 for sophomores, from 300 to 399 for juniors, and from 400 to 499 for seniors. Courses numbered in the 500 series are normally open only to graduate students (see Seniors Taking Graduate Courses).

Course Numbering Standards Co-op Work Experience

The Co-op Work Experience courses are numbered 194, 294, 394, and 494. These courses are arranged through the Co-op Work Experience Office, Juan Chacon Building, room 210. This program provides opportunities to supplement course work with practical work experience related to the student’s educational and occupational objectives. The student will work a minimum of 45 hours per credit hour. Co-op Work Experience courses may be taken for one to six credit hours per semester. A maximum of six credit hours of Co-op Work Experience courses may be applied toward an associate or baccalaureate program.

Independent Study Courses (Graduate and Undergraduate) Independent study courses may be made available in most departments by special arrangement between student and professor. There are three types of arranged independent study:

  1. Directed Study is used when the student wishes to study a subject not regularly offered. These courses are numbered 185, 285, 385, 485, and 585.
  2. Directed Research is used when the student is performing research under the direction of a faculty member. These courses are numbered 190, 290, 390, 490 and 590.
  3. Tutorial Reading is used when a student must take a regularly offered class on an independent basis. Courses are numbered 195, 295, 395, 495, and 595.

academic regulations /

WNMU policy is to prevent the abuse of the Independent Study as it may result in the loss of core-classroom learning;WNMU subscribes to the following general policy statements. Departments within WNMU may impose additional criteria and regulations.

  1. Independent study courses (Directed Study, Directed Research, Tutorial Reading) shall be used primarily for the purpose of academic enrichment.The assignment and approval of Independent Studies for other reasons shall be strictly limited to emergency situations.
  2. A student in a baccalaureate program requesting approval for an Independent Study must have successfully completed 60 hours of college work and must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher. A student in an associate program must have successfully completed 30 credit hours of college work and must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
  3. A maximum of twelve credit hours of Independent Study may be applied toward the graduation requirements at the baccalaureate level. A maximum of eight credit hours of Independent Study may be applied toward the graduation requirements at the associate level.

Internships and Practica

Internship courses are numbered 181, 281, 381, and 481.

  1. There shall be a 45:1 ratio between field hours and credit hours; i.e., for a three credit hour course the student will work 135 hours in the field.
  2. A maximum of six credit hours of practicum/internship hours may be applied toward an associate or baccalaureate program except when required by a professional accrediting agency.
  3. The activities and duties performed by the student during the practicum/ internship shall meet the goals and objectives of the discipline as defined by the department that offers the practicum/internship.
  4. The faculty in charge of the practicum/internship shall prepare a written agreement detailing the responsibilities of the student and field agency during the practicum/internship.This agreement shall also specify the criteria for assigning a grade at the end of the practicum/internship. Both the student and field agency shall sign the agreement before the practicum/internship begins. The agreement shall be filed in the student’s advisement file and in the Registrar’s Office.
  5. The student, faculty, and agency shall evaluate the practicum/internship experience at the completion of the field experience.
  6. If students are to receive stipends, per diem allowances, or other remuneration, criteria or guidelines shall be developed by the department which offers the practicum/internship. These criteria or guidelines shall clearly state the situations under which monies may be paid to a student.
  7. A statement shall be filed with the department and Office of Academic Affairs defining the specific goals and purpose of any practicum/internship course listed in the catalog. It shall include a statement of how the above items are addressed.

On-the-Job-Training (OJT)

These courses are limited to associate degree programs and are numbered 196 and

296. The course instructor works closely with the on-the-job supervisor in determining the student’s grade. Students may earn credit for work experience related to their educational and occupational objectives. The student will work a minimum of 45 hours per credit hour. OJT may be taken for one to six credit hours per semester. A maximum of six credit hours of OJT courses may be applied toward an associate degree.


Workshop courses are numbered 180, 280, 380, 480 and 580.


Examinations other than final examinations are to be given at the discretion of the instructor.

Final examinations are held during the last week of the semester. The schedule of examinations is issued by the Vice President for Academic Affairs and is published in the semester schedule of classes. Any changes in the examination schedule must be approved by the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

The arrangements for a make-up examination shall be made by the student in consultation with the instructor.

Grading System -Grade Points

The WNMU grading system is expressed in letters, which carry grade points used in calculating the cumulative grade-point average (GPA). Grades awarded in all courses indicate the quality of work completed. Grades of A, B, C, D, and F are earned and recorded at WNMU. In computing the grade-point average, the total of credits in which the grades of A, B, C, D, F have been earned is divided into the total number of grade points computed.

A = 4 grade points per credit hour

B = 3
C = 2
D = 1
F = 0
P Indicates a passing grade in a course with a non-graded option. P
is not computed in the GPA.
I Incomplete, indicates work is still pending and is given only when
circumstances beyond the student’s control have prevented
completion of the course within the official dates of a session. It is
not intended as an opportunity to raise the grade in a course. “I” is
not computed in the GPA.
IP Indicates work in progress and is to be used for graduate thesis
course or senior projects.

academic regulations /

MI Indicates work is still pending for a student due to military obliga
tions. A military incomplete will allow the student one full semester
after release from active duty to complete the course work. A MI
may not be given to a student who has a grade of D or F at the
time of request.
MW Indicates the student withdrew due to military obligations. A
military withdrawal will be treated as a regular withdrawal and will
not be calculated in the GPA
W Indicates the course was dropped with the permission of the
proper authorities and that the student was passing at the time of
withdrawal. Withdrawals are not permitted after the eleventh week
of the semester. W is not computed in the GPA.
WF Indicates withdrawal from the course with failing status. The WF
will be computed as a failing grade in the student’s GPA.

Military Withdrawals

Students who formally withdraw from the University before the end of the 11th week of the semester due to military obligations are entitled to a grade of MW (military Withdraw) or MI (Military Incomplete) in each course in which he/she is enrolled. Military orders or evidence of enlistment must be made available to the Registrar.

Auditing a Course

Students may register for any course as an audit, or without credit. The fee is the same as for credit. Students who are auditing a course will be expected to attend class regularly. The instructor has the option of withdrawing a student for not attending class. Courses taken for audit may be repeated for credit. Changes in audit status may be made through the eighth week of classes.

Final Course Grades

A final semester grade report is mailed to each student at the student’s mailing address seven to ten days after the official close of the semester. Lists of students’ academic progress are also provided to the Academic Support Center. The posting of final grades on a student’s permanent record is normally completed within three weeks of the last day of the semester.

Incomplete Grade

The grade of incomplete (I) is given for coursework that could not be completed due to circumstances beyond the student’s control. In no case will a grade of I be used to avoid the assigning of D or F grades for marginal or failing work. A grade of I is requested by the student. A student must remove the I by completing all coursework by the close of the last day of classes in the following semester. Failure to comply with this regulation will result in automatic conversion from I to F.

Mid-Semester Grades

Grades of D and F are reported to the Registrar’s Office according to the WNMU Catalog schedule. These grades are mailed to the student’s local address and are made available to the Academic Support Center and the Financial Aid Office.

If the student receives an unsatisfactory grade because of an apparent error in the registration process, he/she should contact the Registrar’s Office immediately.

Repeating a Course

An undergraduate student may repeat a course previously taken at WNMU in order to improve the grade (including grade of WF). The higher grade in a repeated undergraduate course will be substituted in the calculation of the grade-point average for the final grade earned. All grades earned for the course remain posted on the permanent record, but credit may be earned only once.

Graduate Courses Taken by Seniors

Seniors who are within 12 credit hours of graduation, have completed all required courses for the baccalaureate degree, and have an overall grade-point average of

3.0 or above may petition to enroll for graduate credit. Forms may be obtained at the Registrar’s Office. A maximum of six graduate credit hours may be applied to a WNMU graduate program. Courses which are offered at two or more levels with identical titles may not be repeated for credit, with the exception of courses specifically structured for repetition.

Graduation Commencement

Commencement exercises are held at the end of the spring and fall semesters.

Students whose requirements were completed and degrees conferred in preceding semesters, as well as those who have completed requirements in the fall and spring semesters, are invited to attend and have their names printed in the commencement program.

Students who fail to graduate on the selected date and wish to graduate at a later date must update their files. Please see the Registrar’s Office for details.

Graduation with Honors

Baccalaureate degree candidates who have a cumulative grade-point average of 3.5 or above are designated for honors at graduation as follows:

Cumulative GPA Honor

3.90 or better Summa Cum Laude

3.75 or better Magna Cum Laude

3.50 or better Cum Laude records and registration /

Records and Registration

The Registrar’s Office is responsible for the maintenance of educational records at Western New Mexico University. Records includes, but are not limited to, student transcripts and faculty grade reports. The academic folders for students are also maintained by the Registrar’s Office. These folders are maintained for a minimum of five years after a student last attends and then are destroyed.

Access to, and Confidentiality of Records

As electronic data and on-line systems make student data more readily available on campus, the issue of who legally and ethically should have access to the data presents itself. The following reflects the Western New Mexico University policy regarding access to student data:

1. The University permits the release of a student’s records to school officials at the university who have a legitimate educational interest in the student.

a) A school official is defined as a person employed by the institution in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position. Also included are persons under contract to the institution to perform a special task, such as an attorney or an auditor.

b) A school official is determined to have a legitimate educational interest if the information requested is necessary for that official to perform appropriate tasks that are specified in his/her position description or by a contract agreement or to perform a task related to a student’s education or a task related to the discipline of the student or if they are involved in providing a service relating to the student or the student’s family such as health care, job placement or financial aid.

2. Students can access their own data for informational purposes. This policy does not override other policies which require students to follow specific procedures to obtain their data i.e., transcript requests, student records folder review, etc.

In order to assist faculty and staff in interpreting this policy, the following guidelines are presented:

  1. A student’s advisor can access the academic information required to provide accurate and effective academic advisement.The advisor may not release the information to a third party. The information is for the purposes of working with the student only.
  2. An instructor may access the record of a student to determine if the student has the proper prerequisites as stated in the course schedule or catalog for the course they are teaching. The information may not be released to a third party.
  3. Administrative and support staff assigned responsibilities for working with students in general may access the data appropriate to perform their job in an accurate and effective manner.

/ records and registration

  1. Because of the nature of the student information database (BANNER), faculty and staff may have the capability of accessing data on students who are not assigned to them as advisees. In order to be in compliance with privacy regulations, data retrieval should be restricted to advisees information only or as stated in number 2 above. If in talking with a student, he/she gives consent to the review of his/her records by the faculty or staff member, the member may review the records in the student’s presence.
  2. Directory information may be released without the student’s written consent unless the student has requested that directory information be withheld. A form may be obtained at the Registrar’s Office. Directory information includes name, address, telephone listing, email address, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, date of attendance, degrees and awards received, most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by student, and weight and height of members of athletic teams.
  3. A record is kept of all persons (except WNMU faculty and staff) who are given access to a student’s records without written authorization from the student.

Enrollment Changes

Once registered, students may change their schedules according to published procedures during appropriate periods. Procedures and deadlines are published in the Schedule of Classes. The following refer to regular semester courses:

Add. Students may add courses or change sections only through the third week of the semester (see the University Calendar). After the first week of class, Instructor permission is required to add a course. For tuition costs, see the “Student Expenses” section of the catalog.

Completion of Courses. Students are responsible for completion of all courses in which they are enrolled. Changes in enrollment must be officially recorded on WNMU records. A student not following proper course or WNMU withdrawal procedures will receive a failing grade and will be subject to tuition and fees associated with the course.

Drop. A student may drop a course or courses without a grade through the third week of the semester (see the University Calendar). Instructors may drop a student from the class rolls when the student accumulates unexcused absences in excess of the number of credit hours offered for the course. Students who are auditing a course will be expected to attend class regularly. After the first week of class, advisor permission is required to drop a course. For refund policy, see the “Student Expenses” section of the catalog.

Instructors may also drop a student from the class rolls when the student has not fulfilled any prerequisite for the course.

Withdrawal. A student may withdraw, with a grade of W, from a course after the third week of the semester through the eleventh week of the semester. Grades of W are not computed in the grade point average.

records and registration /

After the eleventh week of the semester, instructor course withdrawals are subject to grades WF. The WF will be computed as a failing grade in the student’s grade-point average.

A student may withdraw from all courses up to the last day of class with a grade of W (see complete withdrawal from WNMU in the "Student Expenses or Academic Support Center" sections of this catalog).

The instructor has the option of withdrawing a student for not attending class.

A student found insufficiently prepared to complete a regular course may be transferred to a lower level course in the same discipline prior to mid-term upon the recommendation of the course instructor and with the approval of the Vice President for Academic Affairs and the receiving instructor.

Any student attending under Veterans’ Educational Assistance must notify the Veteran’s Certifying Officer in the Registrar’s Office if making course changes which affect benefits.

Grading Option Changes

Changes in grading options (audit to grade or grade to audit) must be made during the first eight weeks. Grading option is indicated at the time of registration. The change is processed at the Registrar’s Office. It is the student’s responsibility to make certain that s/he is registered with the proper grading option. Students who wish to audit a course must have the instructor’s signature prior to registration.


Non-disclosure or misrepresentation in filling out applications or other WNMU records will result in disciplinary action, including possible dismissal from WNMU.

Payment of Tuition and Fees

Payment of tuition and fees is required to complete registration. Instructions for payment and payment deadline dates are published in the Schedule of Classes. For specific information about tuition and fees, refer to the “Student Expenses’’ section of this catalog.


Registration Procedure

Details of the registration procedures are contained in the Schedule of Classes. Registration materials are prepared by the Registrar’s Office and distributed to students and faculty before each registration period.

The act of registration on the part of the student is regarded as a commitment to comply with all the regulations of WNMU. In addition to the regular registration period, WNMU offers continuing students an opportunity to advance register at an earlier date to allow time for effective use of academic advising services and to permit access to classes which fill up early in the regular registration period. Advance registration for the fall semester typically begins in late March, and for the spring semester in late October.

/ records and registration

Late Registration

A student should complete registration (including payment of or arrangement to pay fees) prior to the first day of classes. Although a student may register during the first two weeks of classes, classes may be closed and a full schedule may be difficult to obtain. A student is expected to make up work in the missed classes.

Late fees are assessed in accordance with WNMU regulations and must be paid by the last day of the Late Registration. Refer to the Schedule of Classes for the date when late fees begin. Students who fail to make financial commitment by census date, will be disenrolled from all classes.

Schedule of Classes

The “Schedule of Classes’’ is the official publication of the Registrar’s Office each semester. The schedule lists the semester’s course offerings, dates, times, places, and procedures for registration, along with other important information relating to the semester. Refer to the Schedule of Classes for up-to-date information each semester.

Student Information Change of Address

The student is expected to keep WNMU informed of his/her mailing and local address. Any change of address should be reported immediately to the Registrar’s Office. A student may also change his/her address via Mustang Express.

Change of Name

Students may initiate a change of name for their academic records by providing appropriate documentation. A copy of their Social Security Card showing the new name is required, to the Registrar’s Office. Examples of such documentation are a marriage certificate, birth certificate, or court order for legal name change. One form of documentation must be a photo ID.

Use of Social Security Numbers as Student ID

At the time of Admissions and Financial Aid application, Western New Mexico University will capture the student’s Social Security Number. Federal law requires students to provide a Social Security Number so that it may be included on an information return prepared by the institution, 1098T. The Social Security Number is used for record-keeping purposes only and is not displayed in public. Once entered, a student will be given a Generated ID. The Generated ID will be used as the individual student’s identification number.

Summer Session and Short Courses

Deadlines for processing drops, adds, withdrawals, and grade options for summer and short courses vary according to the length of the course. Consult the Schedule of Classes for specific dates.

records and registration /


Transcripts will be issued to eligible students or to their designees, if authorized by the student, upon presentation of proper identification, a written request, and fee payment to the Registrar’s Office. Request must be made at least 20 days before transcript is needed. No on demand transcripts will be processed.

Official copies of the permanent academic record may be withheld until all financial obligations to WNMU have been satisfied. These obligations include, but are not limited to, loans, fines, tuition and fees. Transcripts may also be held for non-financial reasons such as loan default.

The preferred methods of payment include money orders, credit cards (Visa/ Mastercard), cashier’s check or cash. Fees are as listed below:

Official Transcript $2.00
Official Rush Transcript $10.00*
Unofficial Faxed Transcript $4.00

*Please note: Official rush transcript requests must be submitted by the close of business in order to be processed and available within 2-3 business days. This service will not be available the first week prior to or the week of each semester; nor the end of the semester.

Students are encouraged to review their academic records at least once a year with their advisor. Any discrepancies noted should be brought to the attention of the Registrar’s Office as quickly as possible.