Business Affairs - Cashiers


Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I make an online payment?

Click here to review the step-by-step process. For assistance with logging in, please contact the WNMU help desk at (575) 574-4357.

  • What forms of payment are accepted?

WNMU accepts check, credit/debit card (MasterCard, Discover, and Visa) payments online. Cash, check and credit/debit card payments are accepted at the Business Office (located in the Castorena Hall Building).

  • Can I make a credit card payment over the phone?

No. Credit card payments cannot be made over the phone. A signature authorizing the transaction is required to provide a security measure to ensure confidentiality of your payment information.

  • How can I make payments if I don’t have a credit/debit card?

Students and parents are able to make payments directly from their personal checking or savings account. There will not be a charge for processing electronic check payments.


Students can contact the Financial Aid Office to see if he/she is eligible for student loans. Student loans typically have much lower interest rates than those usually found on credit cards and may be a better choice than paying with a credit card.  


Students and parents can also purchase a pre-paid credit/debit card to use for making online payments or look into credit card options that are designed specifically for college students.

  • When do I need to complete payment arrangements to secure my class schedule?

The deadline for completing payment arrangements for fall and spring is the 1st Friday after the semester begins. The deadline for summer sessions is the dependent upon when the session begins. Please refer to the IMPORTANT dates page for more information.


Available options for payment arrangements are: 1) paying your account in full, 2) setting up on a payment plan, 3) payment in full by a Third Party agency, or 4) having sufficient financial aid paid onto your student account to cover your total charges.


Any student who has not set up payment arrangements by the 1st Friday (for fall and spring terms) after classes begin will be disenrolled.

  • Why was I disenrolled if I was waiting for my financial aid to be completed? 

If no financial aid has been paid onto a student’s account by the 1st Friday after classes begin, payment arrangements must be completed. If financial aid is still pending, it is the student’s responsibility to contact the Financial Aid office and supply all required information necessary to complete their file.

  • How does the payment plan work?

Payment plans can only be set up online through our online payment system. If a student wants to pay his/her account with work-study funds, please contact the Cashiers for more information. There is a $25 non-refundable fee (per semester) if a student chooses to utilize the installment plan. To qualify for the payment plan, mandatory scheduled payments will be required. Automatic monthly deductions on the 15th of every month will be processed from the account set up during enrollment.


  • How do I receive my billing statement?

Current students receive all of their billing statements electronically through eBill. Paper statements are not sent out to currently enrolled students. When an eBill is issued the student receives an e-mail to their WNMU e-mail address letting them know that their statement is ready to view.

  • Can my parent or another person also receive a copy of my eBill?

Students can set up a parent or other third party as an authorized user online. Authorized users are e-mailed their own username and password so that they can go in and view/print out the bill. Authorized users also receive an e-mail notification, similar to the one a student receives, when billing statements are available to view.

    • To set up an authorized user in refer to our online payment pamphlet. Once the student has completed this step, an e-mail is sent to the authorized user with the authorized user's user name and password. Students can have as many authorized users as they wish.
  • Why won't you give me information regarding my child’s account? I pay the bill!

WNMU understands that parents, spouses, grandparents, tax preparers and others may need to make payments or discuss various charges on a student’s account. However, we cannot release information regarding the student’s account without his/her written authorization, as mandated by the Federal Educational Rights to Privacy ACT (FERPA). The FERPA act requires that a student's financial records be kept private and confidential.


We will be unable to provide any information until after the student completes and delivers the Information Release Form to the Cashiers Office. This form maybe dropped off in person, mailed or faxed (575) 538-6188. This form must be received by our office BEFORE we can release any information.

A student may also allow them to access his/her account online through our online system; refer to the previous answer on how to set up an authorized user.

  • When are refund disbursements available?

Please refer to our Refund Check Schedule for information regarding disbursements. We no longer allow students to pick up their checks at the Business Office. Notifications are provided to a student’s WNMU e-mail address as to the exact date a check will be mailed to the (MA) mailing address on file and/or direct deposited.

  • Are there any options available to purchase books using my eligible credit balance for an upcoming semester?

Yes. We allow students to purchase books through the WNMU Bookstore using their available credit balance (authorized financial aid in excess of student account charges for tuition, fees, room and board - if applicable). Information as to when the option is available is sent through a student's Mustang Express email or posted on our Important Dates page.

  • Can I have my refund electronically deposited into my bank account?

Yes. Direct deposit is available on the same schedule that refunds are disbursed. Please click here for information on how to sign up.

  • Can someone else pick up my refund or work-study check?

No. Refund checks are generally disbursements from federal funding and a signature is required to pick up the check. Checks are usually mailed to a student’s mailing address on file. Work-study checks can only be released to the student; however, they can be mailed at the student’s request.

  • What happens if I register for classes but never attend or just stop going to class?

Students must formally withdraw from the University through the Academic Support Center. A student may be responsible for the balance due as a result of your registration, depending on when a student decides to withdraw. FAILURE TO ATTEND CLASSES DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A WITHDRAWAL.

If a student has received a refund prior to dropping or withdrawing from classes, some of his/her aid may need to be returned. Any balance that results from a reduction in aid is the responsibility of the student.

  • How does a billing hold affect me?

When a student's account has been placed on billing hold, the student may not 

    • Register for classes or childcare for a subsequent semesters
    • Receive your diploma, purchase transcripts or view grades online


If you have additional questions, please contact us:

By phone -- (575) 538-6151, (575) 538-6150

By e-mail --

Revised: 7/10/2012











Western New Mexico University
PO Box 680  Silver City, NM 88062
Phone: 575-538-6011