Read all assigned material.
- Review notes from previous lectures
- Come early and sit in front.
- Use an outline format or the Cornell System (come to the ASC to learn about
- Listen for cues, such as organizing statements and transition words.
- Record legibly, including both what the lecturer says and what is written on
the board or overhead.
- Include examples in your notes, as these help with memory.
- Use abbreviations and omit unnecessary words.
- Donít rely on recording a lecture or reading someone elseís notes. Take notes
in class even if you do record. When you listen to the recording, simply add
to you base set of notes.
- If you miss something, skip a line or two. After
class, get the information from a classmate or the instructor.
- As soon as possible after class, go over your notes, summarizing and clarifying.
- Review notes frequently, both alone and with a study group.
- Compare your notes to another studentís notes.
PO Box 680 Silver City, NM 88062
Phone: 575-538-6400 Fax: 575-538-6494