Eligibility-Use of facilities and equipment
WNMU students, faculty and staff members are eligible to use
all facilities free of charge. A current WNMU ID must be presented to the staff
member on duty in order to gain admittance.
Dependents of students, faculty and staff members are
eligible to utilize the facilities by paying the Campus Rec fee and receiving a
WNMU Dependent ID from Campus Police. The dependent fee can be paid at the WNMU
Community members may gain access to the facilities by
purchasing a punch card or semester pass. Punch cards and semester passes may
be purchased at the WNMU Business Office.
Equipment such as basketballs,
volleyballs and exercise mats can be checked out through the C Rec staff member
located in the Wellness Center. Upon check out an ID must be presented to the
staff member on duty, the ID will be returned once the equipment has been
checked back in.
All physical activities offered in the Brancheau Physical
Education Complex and at other Campus Recreation facilities are on a voluntary
participation basis and carry various degrees of risk or injury. Participants
assume sole responsibility for any and all such risk or injury that may result
due to voluntary participation. It is each individual's responsibility to be
knowledgeable of his/her own physical condition when participating in any
- Appropriate athletic attire,
such as t-shirts, shorts, warm-up suits and fitness clothing are required.
Jeans and/or street clothes that have rivets on them are not permitted.
- Gum chewing and spitting are
not permitted in any facility.
- In-line skates/roller
skates/skateboards are not allowed in the PEC.
- All personal articles must be
kept in designated lockers; not on activity room floors, courts or other
- Boom boxes are not allowed in
the PEC except those used for Department of Campus Recreation programs.
Individual headphones are permissible.
- Football, softball, frisbee or
other activities that involve projecting items through the air are not
permitted in the facility.
- Appropriate footwear is
required for each activity area.
- Marking/streaking and running
shoes are prohibited on all wood surfaces (basketball, racquetball,
and Dance studio).
- Cleats or spikes are not allowed on any surface in the PEC.
- Any shoes that contain excess dirt, mud, and/or grease, etc., will not
be permitted on any floor surface.
- Open-toe shoes are not permitted in any activity area.
& Child Policies
- For health and safety reasons,
children ages 0 - 16 are not permitted at any time in the Wellness
Center; this area of the facility is not designed to be used by children.
- Infants may not be left in
carriers while their guardian exercises nearby.
- Carriages/strollers are not
permitted in the Intramural Gym.
- Children must be at least 16
years of age to utilize the Campus Rec facilities.
- All children under the age 16
must be accompanied by an adult or legal guardian to gain admittance into
the Campus Rec facilities, and must be chaperoned at all times while in
- WNMU students, faculty, and
staff may purchase memberships for their dependents. Each dependent will
need to pay the dependent fee at the Business Office and get an ID card
from Campus Police.
- Children are never to be left
unattended, even in the lobby.
- Racquetball goggles are
required for children under the age of 18 who utilize the racquetball
Behavior and Personal Safety
- Participants are expected to be
courteous to other facilities users and employees and to follow the rules,
policies and safety instructions outlined by Campus Recreation.
- Patrons are expected to display
acceptable social behavior while recreating in any of the Campus
- Facility users who engage in
behavior or actions that might damage equipment or facilities, or pose a
threat to the safety and wellbeing of themselves or others may lose their
- Abuse of staff in any form is
not tolerated and will result in expulsion and exclusion for a period of
time deemed appropriate by management.
- Vulgar, obscene, abusive,
derogatory or demeaning comments and gestures are not consistent with a
positive environment and could lead to loss of privileges.
- Not all rules are posted. If staff ask your cooperation, please
adjust your behavior and make a recommendation to management at a later date
for changes you feel might be necessary.
- Uncooperative patrons will be asked to leave the facilities and
excluded from its use until deemed appropriate by Campus Recreation.
- The Department of Campus
Recreation reserves the right to take whatever action necessary to
preserve the safety and integrity of facilities and programs.
- Fighting is not tolerated and
will result in immediate expulsion from the facilities. Lack of
cooperation will result in the Campus Police being involved.
- Please help maintain a secure
environment by watching your valuables carefully, and notifying staff if
you see something out of the ordinary.
- When using the facilities
please consider your own health history, seek counsel from your health
provider, and use common sense. In case of an accident or illness, notify
a C Rec employee immediately. Your assistance promoting safety is greatly
- Participation is at your own personal risk. Please be Safe and be
- Food is not allowed inside the
- No glass or metal containers
- Water, in plastic containers
with re-sealable caps is allowed.
- Rule of Thumb: If it tips over
there can't be a possibility of it spilling.
- Alcoholic beverages are not
allowed on the premises.
- Consumption, or suspicious
involvement with alcohol, will be reason for expulsion and possible
exclusion from further Campus Recreation services.
- Western New Mexico University
is designated as a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of all tobacco
products are prohibited.
- Gum should be thrown away
before entering any of the facilities.
Bicycles, Skateboards, and In-line Skates
- Bicycles, Skateboards, and
In-line Skates are not allowed in the PEC.
- Bicycle racks are located
outside for your convenience, please do not park them inside the building.
- Bicycles left for more than a
couple of days in the racks will be referred to Campus Police for removal.
Lost and Found
- Campus Recreation is not
responsible for lost or stolen articles.
- Participants are encouraged to
store all personal belongings securely in lockers.
- Staff members are not allowed
to hold valuables or bags for participants.
- Found items should be turned in
at the Customer Service desk.
- Any items found which appear to
be of significant monetary value will be stored safely. Those items can be
claimed the following day at the Campus Rec Office. Valuables will be
stored for two weeks and then given to Campus Police for disposal.
- Coats and other items of
clothing will also be stored for two weeks and then given to Campus Police
Wellness Center Usage
Proper usage as determined and designed by the manufacturer is
- Do not grab electronic consoles – use the handle bars.
- Do not steeply incline the treadmills, grasp the handle and
lean back on your routine. This is inappropriate and tears up the equipment
- Please wipe down equipment after use.
- No personal items are allowed in this
area. Please use the free day-lockers provided
for your convenience.
- Keep hands and feet clear of moving parts
while machine is in use. Place hands and
feet only on the hand grips and foot pads provided.
- Please use machines and equipment only for their intended
- Use appropriate stacks of weights and settings on the cardio
equipment to match your ability.
- Do not drop weights.
- Stack weights properly after use. Refusing to do so, if asked by
a staff, will result in expulsion
from the facilities for no less than one week.
- Proper athletic clothing, shirts, and athletic shoes must be worn
at all times. NO JEANS.
- Do not operate equipment if it has loose or damaged parts.
- If machine fails to operate correctly, do not attempt to repair.
Notify the staff member at the customer
service desk of the problem.
- Participants exercise at their own risk, and they are responsible
for their own health and safety.
- Do not stand or place feet on benches.
- No equipment is to be moved from its designated area.
- No tape on gym floors or walls.
- Do not move any equipment
already set up on the courts. Ask the staff member on duty for information
regarding the daily activities.
- Gyms are intended for
basketball, volleyball and badminton. Other activities must be approved by
the staff member on duty.
- No personal items are allowed
on the playing floor. Place items in the day lockers provided for your
- Wear proper athletic shoes. No
street shoes or black marking soles allowed.
- Only non-marking athletic shoes are permitted on the courts.
- It is highly recommended that players wear eye protection while
- Only four players are allowed on a court at a time.
- No pets are permitted in the
Brancheau Physical Education Complex unless the animal is a registered
service dog or trained seeing-eye dog.
- The owner should be prepared to
properly display the animal's credentials.