CURRENT STUDENTS | FUTURE STUDENTS | FACULTY/STAFF | A-Z
FRANCIS McCRAY GALLERY Of CONTEMPORARY ART
CALL FOR ENTRIES – Due: August 17, 2012
The Power of Water-Rio Grande, Gila, Mimbres Rivers-Vecinos
Visual multi-media electronic International Exhibition
Open to all artists (18 years & up)
September 15 – October 26, 2012
Western New Mexico University
Silver City, New Mexico USA
JUROR: SUK-JUN KIM, International sound artist
Judges: Gloria Maya, Professor of Art/Gallery Director
Peter Bill, New Media Assistant Professor
This project is part of:
*ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST ADDRESS EXHIBITION THEME TO QUALIFY:
ELECTRO GILA The Power of Water-Rio Grande, Gila, Mimbres Rivers-Vecinos is a visual multi-media electronic art exhibition using new technologies, digital sound, and movement elements to explore the theme of shared rivers, mountains, and eco-systems between bordering states with New Mexico and Internationally with Mexico. Artworks interpret the concept that nature’s wilderness and rivers flow regardless of fences and borders, as they nourish and bind us together as vecinos-neighbors.
In the early 1900’s Spanish troubadours serenaded along the Rio Bravo, better known as the Rio Grande, creating camaraderie among families, relatives and neighbors. Revisiting the ancient native traditions of gathering along rivers, regional Mexican-heritage families gathered by the Gila River with music, storytelling (cuentos) and traditional delicious food.
Submitting Entries for Jurying:
ALL ENTRIES must be submitted in digital format only: CD, COMPACT DISC, or FLASH DRIVE and delivered through the United States Postal Service and include ENTRY FEES: $30.00 for 1-3 entries.
ENTRY SUBMISSION GUIDE
Mixing Real and Virtual reality: Artists are encouraged to create artworks using visual media encompassing digital, sound, movement, installation, performance, or multi-media to mimic nature’s environment with current technology and participate in one or both as listed below. Each artist may submit one to three entries total. Entries may be entered all into one category or divided between the two categories.
Part I: Virtual: Video
Each artist may submit artwork in video format/new technologies including sound that will be looped and Stream-projected together in a single exhibit wall space-approximately 10’x15’. (Each work must not exceed 10 minutes and have beginning and end text title, artist and credits)
Part II: Objects: Actual Artworks
All media Artwork or installations must not exceed allocated space of max 60” wide x 24” out from wall and 9 feet tall and not exceed 50 lbs. weight. Existing pedestal sizes are limited from approximate 10”x15” to 24” square for 3-D or sculptural work.
(No actual water or organic materials or live elements permitted)
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR IMAGE CD ENTRIES:
· Submit all entries in CD (compact disc) format or flash drive with entry form and check or money order fee.
· Please test your submission before mailing it to McCray Gallery. A faulty CD/file will not be pursued.
· Send by US Postal Service priority mail envelope no larger than #10 (Larger size international envelopes must declare contents)
· Digital images/video on compact disc must be in jpeg format, 300 DPI. Each file name must follow this precise format: Images must be viewed on Mac computers
· Artist name must be on disc
· Entry form (#) number must be on disc
o Example: (1-artist name) (2-artist name) (3-artist name)
MAIL ENTRIES TO:
Accepted Entries: Notification of Accepted artworks is by email. You will receive instructions for hand delivery or for shipping your actual accepted artwork. Accepted work not properly represented by your images will not be exhibited. All accepted artworks must remain in the gallery for the duration of the exhibit.
Return of entries: Unless the artist provides SASE with sufficient postage, McCray Gallery will not return submitted CD or flash drive.
Liability Terms: Artists are responsible for the expense of shipping their artwork and insuring it while in transit to and from McCray Gallery. Art is insured during the duration of the exhibition with listed insurance value only.
Sales: McCray Gallery will retain a 30% Handling fee of all sales.
Use Rights: By submission, selected artist’s Work(s) for exhibition grant the McCray Gallery the right to Photograph and use their images for the purpose of promoting the exhibition without contact or compensation. Artist’s recognition is provided with marketing use.
FALL 2012 IMPORTANT DATES
· AUGUST 17 Postmarked Deadline for CD entries.
· By August 21 Accepted Entry email Notifications (No phone calls please)
· AUG. 31-SEPT. 5 Hand-Delivered Works and ARTIST Installations
(Over Labor Day Holiday)
· SEPTEMBER 7 Delivery of Shipped Work must have arrived
(Postal services are closed on Labor Day 9/3/12)
· SEPTEMBER 15 OPENING RECEPTION ELECTRO GILA
7:00 -10:00 P.M. McCray Gallery
· SEPTEMBER 15 Mariachi Concert with Nelson Martinez
Featured: Raices De America Mariachi
1:00 -3:00 P.M. WNMU Fine Arts Auditorium
· SEPTEMBER 13-16 Gila River Festival, Silver City, NM
· SEPTEMBER 19-24 ISEA2012Albuquerque
The 18th International Symposium on Electronic Art
· SEPTEMBER 19-24 Exhibition 516 ARTS, UNM, Albuquerque, NM
· OCTOBER 5-8 Connect The Dots Gallery Walk Weekend
· OCTOBER 26 Electro Gila Exhibition Closes 4:30 P.M.
· OCTOBER 27 - 29 Pick-up Hand-delivered works 10:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.
· After October 27 Shipped Works Returned
· Voice Mail Contact: LEAVE MESSAGE 575-538-6517 or 538-6515
· E-MAIL: email@example.com