WNMU Faculty Development Events & Sessions
Workshop Series - Quality Standards in Courses
Based on Quality Matters Standards
CETAL LAB: A 50 minute kick-off into a two-week, self-paced online module about instruction and assessment, individual investment of 4-6 hours.
Not All of Us Learn in Words (QM Standard 1)
- Organizing visually (graphic syllabus, webbing a course, no paragraph instructions and rubrics).
- Show, don't tell.
- Acting it out to get it across.
- Scenarios, case studies, and what-if's: More than the boring page.
- Note-taking just went up a notch!
Kick-Off September 3 - Noon
Creative Assessment (QM Standard 3)
- Essay? Discussion? Worksheet? Check "Other!"
- Allowing students to create assignments and learning objects as ways to assess learning.
- The research on the advantage of frequent, low-stakes quizzing.
- Self-assessment as a valuable and viable tool.
Kick-Off September 19 - 9:00 AM
Textbook Not Required (QM Standard 4)
- The rise of online, open source materials.
- Write your own text! Alternatives you never had before.
- Advances in no-print alternatives (audio, screen markup).
- Take it with you! Mobile devices and instructional materials.
- Straight from his mouth to your ear. Using experts as learning material.
Kick-Off October 18 11:00 AM
SEAL of Approval - Students Engaged in Active Learning (QM Standard 5)
- What is active learning?
- Engaging activities vs. busy work.
- Monitoring and documenting student interaction.
- NOT one-size fits all!
Kick-Off November 8 - 11:00 AM
All Together Now! Group Activities and Projects (QM Standard 5)
- Group activities and project set-up and instruction.
- How to handle groups that don't get along.
- What's fair in grading practice?
- How to respond to the complaints and justify the outcomes.
Kick-Off January 30 - 2:00 PM
The Magic of Choice - Offer Variety in Assignments (QM Standard 5)
- The "Choose One" model.
- Addressing diverse learning styles with assignment choice.
- Metacognition and growing students who know how they learn.
- Ten activities that make them think-what research tells us.
Kick-Off Februray 21 - 11:00 AM
Universal Design (Be a Course Superhero) (QM Standard 8)
- Building with everyone in mind.
- Progressive enhancement (create at the lowest level of complexity and then complement and enhance).
- Walk a page in their shoes (using accessibility tools).
- Low-hanging fruit and the treetops (how to plan "accessibilitizing" a course).
- The overlooked hero - white space.
Kick-Off March 24 - 9:00 AM