How to Apply for Financial Aid - Page 3
Go to Page 1
How to Apply - FAFSA Checklist
- Complete the FAFSA
- Make a copy of the FAFSA for personal files.
- Make sure all the required signatures are on the FAFSA before
it is mailed.
- Make sure the FAFSA is mailed to the address indicated on the
Financial Aid Tips
- Create a permanent file to keep copies of the completed Free
Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as well as all pertinent financial
aid materials, including tax returns, bills, receipts, canceled checks,
correspondence, award notices, etc. The documents may be needed for future
- Notify the Records Office or the Financial Aid Office of any
change of address or telephone number to ensure that all information,
application forms, award notices, etc. are received.
- Apply by announced deadlines to ensure consideration for all
- Understand your financial responsibility, including the obligation
to pay WNMU bills and repay any student loans.
- Keep the Financial Aid Office informed of any changes in enrollment
status that may affect your aid (i.e. drops, adds, withdrawals, changes
in program, any outside scholarships or other resources).
- Read all financial aid literature received and share it with
parents or guardians, if applicable.
Student Aid Report (SAR)
Four to six weeks after the financial aid application is mailed, you will
receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). The first page of the SAR will state
whether you have been selected for verification. If so, you must submit
supporting documentation with your SAR to the Financial Aid Office. See
the "Verification" section below for further information.
Your SAR contains several sections:
How to Request a Duplicate SAR
- Part 1- Information Summary
This summary contains your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC
is an index number used to determine how much Pell Grant money a student
is entitled to receive. It is also used as the amount of money the federal
government can reasonably expect you and your family to contribute toward
- Part 2- Information Review Form
A processed application with an EFC will produce an Information Review
Form. It can serve as a correction form, allowing the student to review
the information and check for errors. If errors are found, contact the
Financial Aid Office for corrections to be processed electronically.
- Information Request Form
If the student receives an Information Request Form, that means that the
application could not be processed. Since an EFC could not be calculated,
the student should contact the Financial Aid Office for assistance with
the correction and to process the SAR electronically.
All the information on the SAR must be correct before a student can receive
financial aid. Contact the Financial Aid Office with questions about the
If WNMU was not listed as one of the schools the student might attend,
the student must request a duplicate Student Aid Report (SAR) by calling
1-319-337-5665. The duplicate SAR will be mailed directly to the student.
If there is an address change, the student will be directed to submit
the request in writing.
Some students are selected for verification. If selected, a student will
be asked to verify what was reported on the FAFSA. The financial aid file
will not be complete until the student has verified the following information:
If the student fails to provide proof, any financial aid awarded may
be canceled. The financial aid file is not complete until verification
- Federal income tax paid
- Household size
- The number of family members enrolled at least half-time in post-secondary
- Certain untaxed income and benefits received
To verify the above, you will be asked to provide:
- A completed verification worksheet - This form is available online
- Dependant students complete the Dependent Verification Worksheet
Independent students complete the Independent Verification Worksheet
- The student's previous year U.S. Income Tax Return 1040, 1040A,
or 1040EZ and/or the parents' previous year U.S. Income Tax Return
- The students and/or parents previous years W-2’s
- Other documentation required or requested
If the student or his/her family receives benefits, statements from the
following organizations will be requested:
The Social Security Administration
- The Veterans Administration
- Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC), or other agencies
Mid-Year Transfer Students
If a student is receiving financial aid from another post-secondary
institution and plans to transfer to WNMU in the middle of the academic
year, the student may want to call or visit a WNMU financial aid advisor
who will help complete the financial aid file at WNMU. Certain conditions
must be met.
<< Previous Page
Back to top
Back to first page <<
WNMU Financial Aid PO
Box 680 Silver City, NM 88062
Phone: 575-538-6173 Fax: 575-538-6189 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org