IRB Evaluation Procedure
- The IRB Coordinator acts as the initial contact for the proposal. Proposals must be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once received from the applicant, the proposal forms are distributed by the Committee Chair to the board members for review. An initial decision for full
or expedited review can be made by the Chair in consultation with at least one other member of the Board.
- In the case of Expedited review, only the chair of the committee or a designee reviews the research, but the
application of this classification is relatively narrow.
- In the case of regular review, at least 5 members of the Board and one outside member will receive the proposal.
- The Board will meet once monthly according to the schedule provided. Proposals are discussed at those meetings. Applicants are
welcome to be available at the meeting in case questions arise while the board is deliberating. Applicants are asked to wait outside of the
committee meeting until they are invited in by the Board members.
- At the meeting, Board members make a recommendation, including but not limited to:
- Approve with revisions – those revisions will be reviewed by 1-2 committee members
- Reject with request for substantive revisions or additional information
The goal of the IRB is to reach consensus, but in the event consensus is not reached, the Board’s decision shall be that which has gained majority agreement with 5 or more members voting. To vote on a proposal, at least 5 IRB members must contribute to the review.
- The applicant is informed of the Board’s decision, any concerns or recommendations for revisions or additional information by the date published on the schedule. Applicants will be provided opportunity to respond in written format (by email) or to request a meeting with the Coordinator, who may elect to hold a meeting with the Board members in response to the Applicant’s concerns.