CURRENT STUDENTS | FUTURE STUDENTS | FACULTY/STAFF | A-Z
|Computer Lab Policies|
Please scroll down to read these policies. Links to the computer labs are at the bottom of this document.
To use the computer labs students must have the following:
1. A valid Western New Mexico University ID.
2. Be registered for at least one class during the current semester.
*** ALL IDs MUST BE VALID FOR THE CURRENT SEMESTER. ***
SIGNING IN AND OUTYou must sign in on the sign in computer available in the room that you want to use or on the sign-in sheet (in the CETAL Lab). This information is used to track computer usage. At the end of your session please sign out.
TIME LIMITThere is no time limit on the use of computer. However, students who are not currently doing class projects can be asked to give the machine they are using to a student waiting to use a machine for class projects.
WAITING LIST AND RESERVATIONSWhen the lab is busy, a waiting list is made on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations can be made for computer equipment (computers, scanners, digital imaging items, etc.) the day before the machine is needed. Please see a lab assistant to reserve a computer.
STUDENT USER ACCOUNTSEach student registered for a class is given a username and password on the 2nd day of classes. This username enable students to print in the GRC and the ASC labs. (For more information on printing see printing policy below). The account is in the form of lastnamefirstthreeletters of the firstname and the password is your social security number. For example, if John Doe is a student and has a social security number of 444-33-3344 then his information is:
RULES & POLICIESBy signing in, you agree to all computer lab rules and policies. Failure to comply with any of the rules or policies will result in immediate removal from the lab. Please refer to the WNMU Acceptable Use Policy online at http://www.wnmu.edu/itdept/policies/aup.htm.
1. Food and drink can damage the equipment and is not allowed in classrooms or labs. Please finish them outside.
2.You will be asked to leave the lab immediately if:
a. You are using a computer for non-educational purposes. (All games, and ICQ, AOL, AIM, IRC, MSN Instant Messenger, etc.)
** If you need to use a chat program for a class, please notify the lab assistant on duty BEFORE you begin. **
b. Purposely altering the computers (removing programs, adding programs, deleting files, etc.)
3. Please CHECK OUT if you are going to leave your computer unattended for more than 10 minutes.
4. The lab reserves the right to assign your computer to someone else in case of a waiting list.
5. Child pornography is illegal and will not be tolerated.
6. DO NOT change any of the computer settings OR install unauthorized software. It is illegal to copy or distribute software and its documentation without the permission of the copyright owner. If you are caught copying or downloading copyrighted software, legal action will be taken against you.
OTHER INFORMATIONRegarding the saving of your work
- You must bring in computer disks if you are planning to save your work (we do allow saving to a network drive, but we can not guarantee the safety, privacy or security of files that remain on the server).
- We do not sell supplies (paper, disks, pens, etc.). You can purchase them from the bookstore.
- The lab will not be responsible for loss of data, damage, loss of personal items, or personal injury. It is your responsibility to maintain periodic backups of your data.
Regarding Lab Assistance- If needed, seek assistance from on-duty lab assistants (they are identified by their name tag) around the lab or behind the service counter.
- The lab assistants are primarily responsible for checking users in/out, helping users get a session started/terminated, and maintaining the general appearance of the lab.
- The lab assistants are not responsible for doing your homework for you. This is against the University Academic Honesty policy. They will assist you to the best of their abilities regarding the use of the computers.
- You are expected to take the time to learn to use the computers effectively. The lab assistants cannot teach each individuals how to do everything, nor are they expected to know all the answers. You are expected to refer to the available manuals. Manuals may be checked out from the lab assistants with a university ID.
Miscellaneous- Important announcements as well as general information are posted on the bulletin boards and service counter area.
- A stapler and pencil sharpener are available at the lab assistants' area.
- Trash cans are located in each room by the doorway; please feel free to use them.
- Please remember that other people need to use the equipment; please clean up your area before you leave.
- If you experience any issues with the lab equipment please tell a lab assistant or a member of the full-time staff.
- If you experience any issues with the employees in the GRC Computer lab please contact the IT Academic Computing Manager at 538-6335 or email@example.com.
Back to top.
WNMU Information Technology
PO Box 680 Silver City, NM 88062
Phone: 575-538-6436 Fax: 575-538-6491