CURRENT STUDENTS | FUTURE STUDENTS | FACULTY/STAFF | A-Z
New Student Orientation is looking employs 10 enthusiastic and resourceful students to facilitate the summer and spring orientation programs at Western New Mexico University. Our goal is to select a well-rounded, diverse staff that is able to work with first-year students and their family members during their orientation experience. In addition to the application materials, we consider each candidate's academic year, area(s) of study, on-campus involvement, unique qualities showcased during the application process, and motivation for applying.
· Attend and actively participate in all training sessions. Training includes weekdays, evenings, and weekend programming.
· Assist in preparation of orientation activities and program responsibilities. This includes creating door decorations, bulletin boards, check-in materials, individual introduction, and the group welcome. This also includes participation in Homecoming and Great Race activities.
· Have an approachable and attentive demeanor with students and families and act as a resource throughout the entire session.
· Be a responsible and positive peer mentor, understanding this relationship continues into the semester and can have significant impact on a student's experience.
· Effectively communicate with various staff, faculty, and administrators during each session and maintain a professional partnership.
· Actively work with the orientation staff to develop and maintain a high functioning team focused on accomplishing the established orientation learning outcomes.
· Facilitate group discussions by articulating WNMU’s academic expectations, addressing first-year transition issues, and discussing what it means to be part of the WNMU community.
· Educate new and transfer students about the WNMU requirements and assist them in the preparation of schedule options for class registration.
· Assist with the Outreach Programs Outreach Youth Institute. Serve as student counselors assisting with student participants.
· Acquaint new students and family members with campus services and building locations.
· Live in assigned orientation room throughout the summer. You are not required to stay in your room when we are not in session.
· Become part of the OL legacy by experiencing a fun, challenging, and unforgettable summer job that will develop your leadership style, increase communication skills, and influence your overall personal development.
Benefits for being an Orientation Leader at WNMU:
· Compensation: Room, Board, and Monthly Pay
o Room: A residence hall room for summer orientations
o Monthly Pay: Receive pay monthly over the course of employment
o Participate in a comprehensive, 10-week leadership development training program designed to advance campus resource knowledge, effective communicate strategies, leadership tools, and create a high-functioning orientation team that will facilitate all aspects of the orientation program.
o Gain significant leadership experience - especially in the skill sets of collaboration, facilitating small groups, problem solving, critical thinking, customer service, interpersonal communication, group work, and decision making
o Develop professional relationships with faculty and staff and create personal connections to first-year students and their family members (Once an OL, always an OL!)
o Create supportive, enriching relationships with OL peers and the professional orientation staff members.
Students interested in returning as Orientation Leaders for the 2014- 15 year must complete the following requirements as a part of their application: